December 12, 2007

MAJOR AWARD!

When I was growing up, my parents presented a MAJOR AWARD each Family Home Evening. My mom would very carefully cover the printed award so none of the children would sneak-a-peek as it was brought into the room. All eyes would be on my dad as he said, "This week. the award goes toooooooooooooooooooo(he'd point his finger and move it slowly from child-to-child; I'd hold my breath during this part)oooooooooooooooo NELSON!" Or Lorin, Genny or Val, etc. depending on the week.

The reasons for the award varied from "wearing big-kid underpants!" to "standing up for your values amidst opposition." This week the MAJOR AWARD goes to Bradshaw.

His ferocious appetite returned yesterday. (In fact, he was staring very intently at Dustinn and the next thing we knew he had his little gums gnawing on the side of Dustinn's face. He pounced!)
But that is not the reason for the award.

Yesterday, December 11th, he monumentally progressed in cognitive development. He rolled over for the first time. He laughed for the first time. He slept through the night for the first time (10pm-7am). Needless to say, Dustinn and I could not be prouder parents.
-Valery

4 comments:

Katy said...

Valery, you're written description of Dad's process for revealing the award winner was perfect!!! Remember the old school programs that were used to make them? I think Mom still kept the awards. It would be fun to go through them at Christmas time. YEAH!!!! BRADSHAW!!! Handsome boy who laughs and rolls :)

Nonnie said...

Remember the one when Colton got his belly button? I think it was his very first award. You guys were really good at acknowledging the good others had done without being jealous (I have a belly button too, Mom!). I think those awards are in 2 different places.... and some were not kept but it sure was fun. mom

Janina Herbert said...

i LOVED your post!! and that picture is BEYOND ADORABLE! i want to frame it somewhere in my apartment!! i'm so proud of bradshaw! :):) aww, i'm so happy you and julie got to come over today and make cookies with me! i'm glad we got to spend time to gether and become better friends - i just love you both so much!

and matt LOVED the cookies! he kept eating them! i was like "wow!" so good job on the awesome recipe ;)

i love ya and will see you next week! yay!

Scott, Julie and Kaylie said...

Horray for Bradshaw! What a smart little fella. He was such a sweet gentleman last night with Kaylie. I had so much fun getting to know you more, you are such a fun person to be around! See ya next week!