April 8, 2008

A Weekend in Palm Springs

Dustinn is inspired. He decided that we should visit his Grandparents in Palm Springs over Conference weekend. Not only did we get to see the whole extended family; but we found out it was probably the only weekend we could've spent a Saturday with them. (His grandparents work in the temple all day Saturday but the temple was closed for Conference.) They told us some great stories:
When Grandpa (Sam) was 13 years old, his Papa handed him a small pillowcase containing socks and few necessary items and told his son he would be going to Wolf's Pass to herd the sheep with "Joe." Sam's job would be to cook for Joe, pack the horses, and help herd the sheep (3 flocks totaling 10,000).
Sam, "But... but Joe doesn't speak any English!"
Papa, "I know."
"But I don't speak any Spanish!"
"I know."
And that was it. No "avoid falling off your horse" or "watch out for bears." Sam wouldn't see his father again for several weeks.

Years later, Sam was a veterinarian in LA. I heard how one time he was helping a horse when the horse's heart stopped. Sam said "with a dog you can massage the heart with your hand but a horse is too big." So he started jumping on the horse and the heart started right up again. The owner was standing to the side saying, "You're the best, Dr._, the best."

At dinner, Grandma (Pauline) was telling us how her father was a great athlete. She said he took first place in javelin, shot put, and high jump. Then Grandpa quipped in "yeah, it was between him and one little old man." Grandpa's always joking! And Grandma didn't get upset; smiling and laughing she said, "oh Sam!"

I'm grateful to be part of this family.

2 comments:

Curtis and Deanna said...

Thank you for those stories, Val. I never heard the sheep hearding story told with those particular details. I had not heard about the conversation with his Dad. What a frightening moment for a young man! But, his father knew that he was up to the task, and it helped make him the man that he would become. I love my dad and mom so much and appreciate them. If I could only be half the man that my father is, I would consider myself a success. I am glad that you got to spend time with them.

The Wildes said...

Thank you for that post Val. I was really sad that we couldn't make it to plam springs, and this made me feel a little better.
I'm glad you had so much fun there.