May 20, 2008

Ode to my Mother

Birthdays give you a chance to celebrate the many reasons why you love someone. Today is my mom's birthday.
My mom is one of the strongest & toughest people I know.

When I was little, my dad's work was in Japan and he traveled back & forth for many years. This was before international calls were cheap or cell phones were around. My mom had 6 little kids (and cloth diapers only.) Did she complain? No. Were we deprived of any attention? No. She made us quiet books and taught each of us to read. She planned amazing themed birthday parties. She made us costumes. Everyday in the summer, we'd lie on the carpet and she would read to us (Mrs. Pigglewiggle, Mr. Popper's Penguins, the Salt & Pepper Gang.) She is the funnest/most playful mom I could ever imagine.
My mom is the most compassionate person I know.

When my appendix ruptured in Brazil...my mom stayed by my side in the hospital (sleeping in the chair beside me every night.) Back in the states, she waited on me day after day. Over a month later, I'd wake up (in the middle of the night) in pain and she'd be right there.
She also saved me when Bradshaw came. Dustinn had to go to Boston right after he was born. My mom drove me & 3-day-old Bradshaw from Utah to California. When we arrived the apartment was empty (no bed, no fridge, just a huge stack of boxes.) She single-handedly scrubbed the whole apartment, unpacked everything and moved us in. (And emotionally supported me with my nursing & cesarean complications AND physically supported me with nutritious meals, big glasses of water and taking the baby for several hours each night.)
My mom has a great attitude. One of the lessons my mom has taught me is to:
Bloom where you are planted.
For example: maybe our furniture isn't the nicest/our apt. is cramped. What can we do? We can keep our home clean and fresh. We can make sure everyone who enters feels welcome.
course, the phrase "where you are planted" does not necessarily refer to the city you live in. It is relationships, job environment, talents, health, weaknesses, callings, etc.

I love you Mom. Happy Birthday. Your grandson says he loves you too.

6 comments:

Erika said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erika said...

What a great post to your mom! I have always been very impressed with her, she seems like a wonderful mother! Happy Birthday!

Katie said...

She has always been one of my heros. I am constantly striving to have the same grace and excitment for life your Mom has.

Nonnie said...

Valery, You are so sweet.... and way too generous with me. But thank you, your words made my day special. It isn't so rough being on your own when you have good and cooperative children. My kids are the best, that's the key to any success I have had. xoxoxo

The Wildes said...

Val, this post is beautiful! You and your mom have been through a lot together. I want you to know, to me you are a lot like your mother. You are sweet, kind-hearted, spiritual, fun, smart, self-less, and much more.
I love you and because she made you an amazing friend to me - I love your mom. So Happy Birthday, Bonnie!

Ordyna Arena said...

I love this post. Not only is your mom beautiful on the inside..but holly molly she is so gorgeous! You look just like her. Does she ever age? It is so neat to hear you talk about her. I want to be that kind of mom!