December 4, 2008

Our Thanksgiving Story (as told through a potpourri of Bradshaw pictures)

Thanksgiving this year was held at my parent's house in Flower Mound, Texas. Not only were all my siblings & spouses there, but my Grandmother & Grandfather were there as well! (This is a BIG deal. My grandparents have 10 kids and 80 grandkids so you have to book them a long time in advance.)
Many of the dishes were special family recipes (the stuffing, sweet potato souffle, orange rolls, creamy blueberry jello ring and , of course, my Grandfather's mashed potatoes!)
Each person had a small pile of candy corn on his/her plate. We went around the table, and for each candy corn you said one thing you are grateful for.
After the meal, we had a turkey bowl out on the ranch. Then at night, we had a thanksgiving program (Joe slaughtered the rest of us in the Thanksgiving quiz. Smart man, my brother-in-law.)
Captain Smith & Pocahontas? Myles Standish?
Can't forget the pies! My Grandmother & Dad made more pies than there were people!
Nelson & Bradshaw set-up the Christmas train.
This picture represents our puzzle races. (I know what you're thinking. How can puzzles be fast & furious? Ohhhhh it was. Boys vs Girls. It was extremely competitive and SO FUN.)
In the 2 weeks I was there, the puppy went from a ball of fur to a real dog. So sad. I'm glad babies don't change that quickly.
These two have a very symbiotic relationship: Puppy catches everything that falls from the high chair; Bradshaw grabs fistfuls of her fur while she sits patiently; when Bradshaw is drinking a bottle she licks the drips off his chin. I went with my dad & grandparents down to the barn.Bradshaw comes from a long line of chicken-men. Note his first impression of chickens. In the midst of a busy week, we had a very special temple trip.
See the meter stick? It was intended to keep Bradshaw out of the treat drawer. Instead, he used it to open both drawers at the same time, and reach in through the side. Then we'd find trails of powdered sugar and chocolate through the house.
Early morning frost on the ranch. (Steam coming off the water.)
A coyote strutted right behind our house. There are tons of animals on the ranch (deer galore, racoons, opossums, etc.)
"I love you my family! Please come visit me!"

Note: I'm going to take a short hiatus from blogging and will be back in few weeks. =)

7 comments:

D said...

you guys went to an ice sculpture place without me?!?! I've always wanted to stay in an ice hotel

Amber said...

You're back!!! Woo hooo!!!! It looks like you had a blast over the holiday. Puzzle races and ice places and family everywhere...sounds like the perfect holiday to me! I love the first crazy family picture...

Lindy said...

Haha. I think most of us reacted like that to the chickens.. SO CUTE! This blog depicts our break very well. Props my sista! Why the hiatus!? i love your blogging! Plus you "hiatused" during all of thanksgiving! :) Just Kidding. As long as I hear from you in this time I think I will survive. Love you Jackson fam!

Harrison - Party of Four! said...

That's sweet, Val. What a great way to start the holidays :)

Katy said...

I keep looking at this post 'through the eyes' of Bradshaw. He has such cool adventures :)

Jodi said...

Hey Val,
Thanks for the Christmas card! Now I am having a hard time keeping myself organized this year, so remind me - have I sent you one yet? Is your address the one in VA?

V said...

Hehe, notice the my dad made sure to grab the puppy for the family picture at the table. I love my dad. =)