August 24, 2010

11 Months Old

Olivia:
  • sings (yodels?) along with the Mama Mia soundtrack
  • is a climber!  She can pull herself up onto a chair and then onto the table 
  • she loves pat-a-cake and peek-a-boo
  • her stranger anxiety peaked around 8/9 months (she would burst in to tears and lunge for me when someone unfamiliar got too close) and mostly disappeared over the summer.  Selfishly, I miss it.  I think as an adoptive mom sometimes I'm a little less self-assured and those affirmations of her love for me make my heart soar. 
  • she entertains herself very well and is a happy-go-lucky girl
  • she was given the nickname "Snaggle Tooth" by some of her aunts & uncles this summer. (She has two teeth now, but she had one teeny lil tooth and she could take on anything with it--meat, crackers, apples, etc.)
  • she's tall (in the 95 percentile for height)
  • when we open and close our fists she'll walk or crawl to us
  • if I pick her up and hold her away from my body, her feet pedal a-mile-a-minute. Her energy and concentration seem to say "Wow I'm flyin, look at me. Weeeee!" Dustinn says she's revving up and onto of these times when we set her down she's going to sprint out of the room. She's ready to hit the runway.
  • she's weaned herself from bottles and prefers formula from a sippy cup
  • she gets the cutest bedhead in her fluffy blond hair
  • she gives sweet kisses 
She's had a sudden vocal burst (which seems really early to me; what do you think?)  She uses words in their correct context consistently, which is both stunning and thrilling:
  • she says "heh" (hi) when she waves
  • she repeats "nigh nigh" over and over when we're about to put her (or Bradshaw) to sleep.
  • "Olivia do you want a bottle?" "Yaw." 
And, [drum roll] she took 27 steps the other day without stopping or sitting down.   We know it was 27 because Dustinn, Bradshaw and I were all counting in unison.  Of course, it ended with cheering and clapping.

She seems to walk as often as she crawls but more typically it's just 6-8 steps.  She's growing up!

Olivia LOVES her aunts, uncles, cousins, grandparents and birthparents and had a wonderful time with them this summer.

HERE ARE THE VIDEOS:
First, Olivia saying "nigh nigh."  (We sing "Nigh Nigh" when we are leading the kids to bed and if you've been with us during this you might recognize the tune.  Cute, yeah?)

Second, our little walker:

8 comments:

Erika said...

Oh I'm so excited to get her and Cpt. A together for a cousin play date! How lucky that she weaned herself from the bottle. Cpt. A is having a hard time with that and with going to from formula to milk (he wants it warm and I'm a little lazy). Yay for her walking! Cpt. A prefers crawling, but his balance is getting much better when it comes to standing.

Lindy said...

Little olive. :) Can we get video documentation of any of her talking? I miss her. I gave her the name snaggle tooth! (on the way to Agape if I recall correctly)

I love the blanket she's on and the picture all together... the colors are great.

The Wildes said...

What a cutie. Jack asks about her and Bradshaw a lot. I too wish we lived really close and could see each other all the time.

Que and Brittany's Adoption Journey said...

Aw that is so sweet. And I totally get the selfishness with the stranger-anxiety thing. Totally. :)

27 steps is SO AWESOME! Liam started to stand up on his own yesterday. 27 steps seems AMAZING! She is getting so big!

V said...

Hey little Linder, I just added a video. :)

The blanket she's on was made by Nic's mom, her Grandma Cherie--and this picture doesn't do it justice. It has her name across the bottom and flowers. It's really beautiful.

D said...

What a great walker Olivia is becoming! I love how she cheers herself on as she goes, and how excited Bradshaw is too.

jordyn said...

She's getting so big! Nic loves the video of her singing.

swimmingviolist said...

How CUTE!! :D It's actually common for a little one to start talking... especially if they have an older sibling that's talking some... they learn a lot faster that way... My youngest sister started talking a little before she turned 1 I think... Partly because of my brother and I being older, as well as Kendra being more of an influence than Collin and I, because Kendra is 18 months older that Abbie. They are so close, and best friends like crazy! They almost act like Twins! :D They are so dang cute!! :D