January 21, 2011

bradshaw-isms

When we first began asking Bradshaw if he'd say family prayer he angrily replied no.  Now, it's Bradshaw's personality that if we try to cajole him into doing anything when he's already said no, he will only become more adamantly opposed.  But knowing he was completely capable and that he would be proud of himself afterwards, I said, "I can't think of what to say...will you help me to say the prayer?"
Now almost every night he asks to help and feeds me all the lines. Sometimes the content is comical sometimes it's surprising observant.  It's always fun to hear what's on his mind.  Last night, he whispered to me "we thank thee for Jack" (his cousin) and I repeated.  Then he squints at me with a big grin and whispers, "you're doing a great job Mom."

Me: Uh-oh Bradshaw, I can't park here or we'll get a ticket.
B:  Yay!  Then we can fly on an airplane.

When we first moved to our building, I often reminded Bradshaw as we stepped on the elevator to watch that his fingers don't get pinched in the elevator door.  It was a calm reminder but somehow it has become his phobia that Olivia will get her fingers pinched in the elevator and he gives her regular pep talks.
"Liva it's coming!!  It's coming.  'Member to watch yer fingers and no touch da door.  When you grow up to be a big lady I want you to have all 8 fingers."

And an Olivia-ism:

After I change her diaper she typically hops up, grabs the diaper like a football, runs it to the trash, closes the lid, and looks at me for praise.  Well the other day, she had a really saturated diaper, and fearing it would goosh all over her, I put it in the trash.
She looks dumbfounded at me, looks at the trash can, looks back at me and throws herself on the floor in a puddle of tears.

7 comments:

Erika said...

Hahahah! All eight fingers!

Aren't girls and their emotions awesome? That's cute that she wants to help. :) Kids love their routine.

Janina Herbert said...

HAHAHA! LOVE IT!! I love your stories .... miss you TONS and wish we lived closer! love you guys!

Genny said...

I love those cute kids!!!! He's so sweet in his tie as a sunbeam and when he worries about all 8 of Liva's fingers. He's so bright! Most kids would mistakenly count the thumbs. :) And what a sweet little helper. She's so adorable. I can't wait to see them again!!!

Jess said...

you are a great great mom. Way to help him pray. You're doing a great job mom!

D said...

I love how Olivia looks up to Bradshaw as he helps with prayers. She really loves her brother.

My favorite Bradshaw prayer:

Dear heavenly faw-der
Thank thee for Jesus
Thank thee for baby Jesus
Please bless Jesus
Please bless Jesus more
Name of Jesus Christ Amen!

The Wildes said...

Very cute post, so funny.
I love how you convince Bradshaw that YOU need help saying the prayer, to get him to participate. I do the same thing with Jack and the potty in public. He's always having so much fun that he won't stop to potty, so I say "I really have to go potty, but I don't know how to flush the toilet. Can you help me?" Works every time.
I am going to use that method with the prayers, it's Gold-Thanks!
Miss you

Curtis and Deanna said...

What a fun post. I love the eight-finger story! Thank you for sharing this! -- Curtis