January 15, 2008

Prepare every needful thing...

I play a little game with Bradshaw: I don't pick him up out of his crib until he smiles.

Some days, he'll want me to ask about his nap or sing a song before he'll reward me with a smile but usually the boy is squealing with delight and grinning ear-to-ear.
Last night, Dustinn & I talked about how good our home feels when it's clean and tidy. (Dilworth Young said, "the dusty, ill-kept room with its unmade bed is the devil’s best means of discouragement") I really want to have a "house of order" but this is not one of my talents. I've started a schedule to keep me on task:
Monday-laundry
Tuesday-floors
Wednesday-bathroom
Thursday-kitchen
Things change a little bit. Like, nowadays I'm scrubbing the tub every day (thank you Mom for being such a good teacher) cause the little guy loves to bathe. And when he's crawling I'm sure I'll have to do the floors a lot more.
Okay, the point of my rambling is to find out: WHAT WORKS FOR YOU? Tips? Comments? Suggestions?

3 comments:

Nonnie said...

OHIO - I know it seems hard at the time but it makes a big difference.... of course it only works if everything has a place. Also put the house to bed at night. A quick tidy at night will make it not seem so oppressive to tackle the rest in the morning (10 second tidy?). I love my little monkey fish! xoxoxo

Janina Herbert said...

ok, let me just say - YOU ARE THE CUTEST, VALERY! :):)

i also have tried to incorporate the "one thing to clean every day" routine and, while i haven't done the best job of sticking to it, i think once i incorporate it, it will help a lot! hahaha. sad thing is, i came up with this plan the FIRST WEEK WE MOVED HERE! and i STILL haven't stuck with it!!

haha, but you've inspired me to start today! :)

i think you're awesome and that sounds like a great plan!

love ya and see you real soon!
*janina

Erika said...

I do the same thing,

Mondays- wash towels and dust
Tuesdays- Laundry
Wednesdays- Sweep & Mop all hard floors
Thursdays- Outdoor chores
Fridays- Toilets/Tubs
Saturdays- Wash sheets/organize computer desk

I also have daily chores which include making my bed (I'm good at this one), pick up clothes (not so good), clean up toys, do dishes, clean counters and table. Joseph ends up helping (ok.. DOING) with the dishes, kitchen and toys.

I was really good at my schedule for a month or so and then the holidays happened. Now we're in the middle of buying a house and things are too crazy. Maybe I'll be able to do it all again when we move in!!! It's like an uphill battle. You are not alone... :)