February 28, 2008

Who Says Quack?

Bradshaw is uninterested in his books, except Who Says Quack?
For whatever reason, when I read this book to him, he is engrossed. His eyes never leave the pages. (It's like you can see the cogs turning.)
So today we took a little trip to see the ducks at The Water Gardens (sounds exotic eh? It's just a business complex...but with DUCKS!)

And it was a hit! This was the most I got him to look away from the action.

I also had an usual experience. I said to myself, "Look at the beautiful mallard." Then I realized, "How on earth do I know what type of duck that is?" (Albeit a common duck...I just don't know these things.)

Instantly, I was filled with respect and admiration for my dad. All growing up (in the Blue Hills, High Uintahs, Big Cottonwood Canyon, on the ranch) my dad would quiz us kids about the name of a plant or insect, or challenge us to spot a particular animal. My grandmother said, when my dad was a little boy, he'd find a dead mouse and pick it up and stroke it and keep it in his pocket. She said he'd always have a frog or something with him. When we were little kids, he lifted up some boards under one of the chicken coops and showed us a row of little pink baby mice, all nestled together.

I even remember when one of our cats caught a little mouse outside and I rescued it and turned my fisher price kitchen into the mouse's mansion (sorry Mom! I know I shouldn't have brought it inside! It was the only one I promise.) Anyway, I digress. My point: my dad's innate nurturing of nature has trickled down. Because of my dad, not only can we recognize a few things but, more importantly, we (kids) have a deep reverence for the nature around us.

3 comments:

Janina Herbert said...

WOW. first of all, how awesome that you and bradshaw were able to see the ducks! i'm so glad he loved it! you're so cute when you write you blogs, it makes me smile :)

also, i'm SO impressed that you knew what that duck was - i never even HEARD of a "mallard" before, i just knew they were "ducks". haha. also, that's such an amazing story about your dad, and what a wonderful legacy he gave to you and your siblings to know all this knowledge about nature.
and lastly, i loved reading your blog - the way you wrote this post (and all your posts) was so...enlightening! you're awesome! and i love you!

Cyndi said...

How sweet, your dad must be so amazing. I can totally see you rescuing a cute little mouse. Bradshaw is sure to inherit your respect for things.
Answer: to get the text wide you have to go to "Pick New Template" on the Layout tab. There are two types: Minima Stretch & Lefty Stretch. The only problem with these are that most of the pre-template designs are for just the normal Minima. I hope this helps. I love your blog!

The Wildes said...

I loved this one. And because of it, were taking Jackson to see the ducks at Seth's office this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes.