October 14, 2010

Infatuation

We've had a lot of really fun days lately.  The weather has been gorgeous, identical to the feel of Santa Monica. We spent as much time as possible at a playground, the shore, or strollin' around town.  (Highlight) I watched my children dance their hearts out, without a care who was watching, to the man playing Raffi at the Farmer's Market.  Found apples sweet as candy.  Carried sleeping children from their beds to the beach to watch the sunrise.  Tailgate party.  Dabbled in potty-training.  Played with chalk. Visited the Botanic Gardens.  Found winter coats and made Halloween costumes.  Discovered a wonderful pediatrician.

Dustinn asked me today why I am so "infatuated" with Chicago.

I don't know if that's quite it.
(And the jury's still out on whether I'll survive Chicago winter.)

Chicago is fun.  With plenty of things to do.
But that's not the reason.

We see Dustinn more than we did when he was in management consulting.
But that's not the reason either.

The reason is nothing profound.
Each area we've lived in has had it's own unique culture and activities.  Each area has blessed our family in different ways and we've made wonderful friends.  So I'm excited for our Chicago opportunity!
And with the threat of a cold winter looming over our heads, we've immersed ourselves and have really gained a love for these streets we call home.

Pictures from the weekend:
Olivia starts hyperventilating with excitement as soon as the beach is in sight.
She protested me holding her back to get her swimsuit on.
Once she was free, she beelined it for the water and didn't slow as her knees,
then waist, then shoulders were under and she would've kept going
but we scooped her up and returned the fearless miss to dry land. 

exuberant "hi" to some strangers
Good, clean fun
Started out as a plane; became a fancy home.  Bradshaw is pointing out
where his garage is "and my fire hydrant--yellow top, red body, white arms!"

8 comments:

Amber said...

So, what is the reason friend?! :) Do share!!!

It definitely looks like you guys have plenty to love!! It looks like you're having a BLAST! I'm so glad. And I'm soooooooooo glad to hear that you're seeing Dustinn more than expected!!! AWESOME! Doesn't having the boys around make all the difference in the world?

D said...

the beach is so fun with the kids! I'm so glad you're happy in Chicago. It's a very fun place

Mandy @ The Party of 3 said...

:) Such great pictures!!!

Curtis and Deanna said...

What happy pictures! I'm glad you guys are enjoying Chicago. -- Grandpa Fiddy

The Wildes said...

What a fun place!!

Julie Bird said...

awww Val, just hearing you talk (Ok, type really) makes me miss you! I'm so glad that you are loving Chicago! Although I think Utah is beckoning... :) Your children are abosulety beautiful!

V said...

Thank you Julie; we miss you too!

V said...

@Amber: Haha, I didn't mean to leave it as a cliff-hanger. I just spaced finishing the post.

Chicago Fall reminds me of Virginia Fall and how GORGEOUS everything was. Every direction you looked was amazing. And just thinking about "when an opportunities gone, it's gone." Virginia Fall is one of the most beautiful things on earth. Last Virginia Fall we didn't know we wouldn't be there for this Virginia Fall. I can't do anything about that but I don't want to look back on Chicago and have similar regrets (nothing specific--it's just impossible to ever get enough!) Anyway, it helped me to jump right in to Chicago. The most we've explored the more we've felt apart of and proud of this area. That's it. :)